Shornemead Lighthouse was an early pre-fabricated lighthouse, built to a design by Sir Thomas Matthews, the Engineer-in-Chief for Trinity House at the time.
The Shornemead tower was constructed by Trinity House in 1913 to be a semi-automatic acetylene powered light. Originally the lighthouse was sited on the Kentish shore, not far from Shornemead Fort, however as time went on the coastline suffered badly from eroded and eventually the tower was left standing on it's own foundations out in the River Thames. A long bridge was built to reach the tower, but as the shore eroded more, the lighthouse became further from the coast and the bridge needed to be extended.
In the early 2000s the foundations were subsiding and the lighthouse had developed a list to the East, so in 2003 the Port of London Authority took the decision to replace it with a more modern light. The old tower was cut away at it's base and it's upper section was removed and put into storage at the Port of London Authority's Denton Wharf depot, where it remains today. The metal ring from that formed the base of the tower, as well as the concrete foundation both remain in place at Shornemead, just off of the Saxon shore way, East of the fort.
A handful of other lights built to a very similar design were also established around the UK, including those that still remain at Blacknore Point and Peninnis.